Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and not so bookish bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise.



Toni Morrison, February 18, 1931 – August 5, 2019
1. 
2. We did it! The yard sale is over. We made *nowhere near enough for the effort in 102 degree weather* about $100. But it was fun, we met a bunch of people and, most importantly, about 10 boxes and several pieces of furniture left the house permanently to the Veteran Association's benefit. Unfortunately, a few larger items were kept with the goal of selling/giving them away on Craigslist (read: no tea or books on the porch). I haven't given up yet...hubby has a saw and those few items can easily disappear!

3. Vacation otherwise was busy (lots of appointments), but restful and much needed. I read some, bought art supplies, drew, and spent a few days with hubby.

Funny story...he and I headed up to Maine for a "Yard Sale/Street Theater community event". When we arrived, the yard sale was pretty much the size of my 1950's ranch-house bathroom. The Street Theater was a sing-along with regular cast members, all of whom were at least 60+ [imagine your grandma singing Castle in a Cloud from Les Miserables]:



We laughed it off and spent the day putzing around the town, had a yummy lunch (two dogs and french fries for $3.39), and had a great day anyway!

5. Another funny story: I was supposed to take both kitties for their annual check up. When Tuesday arrived, I grabbed the larger one thinking she would be the biggest struggle. I then went in search of the little bug...who was happily entombed in the chaos that is my basement. But, she had been warned by the sound of her sister being locked in the carrier. She avoided every trick and treat I offered.

Failure. I'm a failure [or so I told the vet]. I showed up [sweating and swearing] with one kitty only and had to make another appointment and go back a few days later with the little one. But everyone is healthy, so it was worth it!

6. The New York Times' advise for being a better reader in seven days:

https://www.nytimes.com/programs/better-reader

In my opinion, it's all about the book. Find a book you love and the rest falls into place.

7. No news on the carpal tunnel front. But my other arm sustained a likely torn tendon (due to the hospital visit in May). I've been in considerable pain since then (even lifting a glass of water) and the doctor assures me it's likely to last up to a year. "Tennis elbow", as it's referred to (quite ironically as the pain in neither in my elbow, nor have I ever played tennis!), takes a long time to heal. Boo!

8. Things at work are starting to wind down from the summer. Faculty are returning. Fall prep is well under way. We are just about ready for the new students to arrive for orientation. And with that, Thanksgiving break is just around the corner. Haha!

Have a great week everyone!

0 comments: