Sunday, September 01, 2013

Sunday Salon - 09/01/13



If you are interested in other Salon posts, visit the Facebook page to get links.

Summer is over.

Sigh...

Life
The beginning of the year was so busy, and the first half of the summer taken up by shows. Then, recovering. And then, well... Who knows!?  I just looked up and bang, boom it was September!

I love summer! It has always been my favorite time of year. Despite the humidity in the northeast, I love the hot weather, not wearing coats, and knowing I can soak in the sun. I love watching the squirrels and birds gallivanting around the yard. I love listening to the crickets at night.

Strangely this summer, though, I kept thinking about pumpkins and colored leaves and apple picking. I found myself longing for autumn. But, honestly, now that it's upon us... Well, sigh. I'm not ready. I want another month of beach weather, hanging out on the porch weather, shorts and tank tops! Another vacation week wouldn't hurt either...

I'm just not ready to face the students coming back (the huge increase in work and traffic), the return of cold days and colder nights, and facing that it just might be time to lock up the sun porch for the season. Boo!!

The best part of fall for me was always the start of school. As a student, I loved it. As an adult, and college administrator, it's still exciting and new but it's not quite as fulfilling as starting new classes. I suppose I should just sign up for something for the fun of it...

Books and Blogging
I had every intent to buckle down after my busy spring and read, read, read. But, for some reason, I lost my mojo. It took me a long time to get through a book I was reading and I just haven't gotten my flow back. Even though the book I am currently reading, The Middlesteins, is good...I just can't seem to get excited about opening it (or any other book). 

I've also been spending a fair amount of time watching videos boning up on my web building skills - HTML, CSS, and learning the basics of JavaScript (I fantasize starting my own design company and retiring from the daily 9-5 grind). But for now, I will have to settle for enjoying this wonderful long weekend. We've already spent a chunk of the weekend cleaning out the basement (yes, again). And once again it shows promise... now if only the hubby would stop bring home goodies from Craigslist, ha ha!  

Perhaps I'll spend my (lack-of) Labor Day sitting on the porch reading!

Hope your is full of rest and relaxation!


0 comments: