Friday, July 11, 2014

Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and not so bookish bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise.



1. Well, the fourth was a washout here on the east coast, but we made up for it on Saturday the 5th!  Family and friends over. Hamburgers were eaten. Potato salad was consumed. And a few drinks too.


2. Loved the book. Love Reese Witherspoon.  Cannot wait!




3. Only one week left until I am on vacation! My husband actually managed to take the same time off too, so it will be nice to hang out with him some.  No, we are not going anywhere. We've got tons of house projects to do during that time (read: paint the house, ugh), but I am sure I will find some reading time too!

4. I also have a few other items on my list that I've been meaning to do, like visiting the grave of a ex. Yes, he passed young. A bit depressing, but I've felt like this is something I've needed to do for a while now. I think saying goodbye will calm my soul.

5. I'm sure everyone has heard about Louis Zamperini (1936 Olympian and the subject of Laura Hillenbrand's bestselling nonfiction book Unbroken) passing away on July 2nd. What an incredible man he was and Hillenbrand did an exceptional job of relaying his amazing story to the masses. Another movie I am looking forward too. 

6. Sad, but true, after only three years World Book Night looks like it has gone belly-up. Due to funding issues, they are calling it quits. "The expenses of running World Book Night U.S., even given the significant financial and time commitment from publishers, writers, booksellers, librarians, printers, distributors, and shippers, are too high to sustain without additional outside funding, " according to Director Carl Lennertz. What a shame. It was such a wonderful program. Hopefully someone can step in and help out.

7. Garth Brooks... New album. 'Nough said! 

8. So, can someone tell me the benefits of Oyster and Scribd? I mean beyond the sort of obvious, get whatever book you want, whenever you want it? Aren't these services just libraries? And I finacially support my local library already. Yes, they may not have every single book I want, at the time I want them. But rarely do I find a book that I absolutely cannot wait to read. I usually have hundreds (thousands) in line that can fill in until a hold is ready. And, if the library doesn't have that book, most libraries in towns close by do and I can borrow from them too. So, what is the deal with these sites? Do you use them? Why are they worth it? Other thoughts?


1 comments:

Christine said...

I saw the Wild trailer the other day and am not so sure... I love Reese, though, and hiking, so it might be okay. I read the book and thought it was fine, although I thought she didn't always mesh her personal past into her present hike. I saw her at a reading and thought she was a little too cocky for me. But Reese... and all the hiking... we'll see!