Thursday, April 11, 2019

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and not so bookish bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise.



Not our actual condo!
1. Scraping and sanding and painting, oh my! Hubby and I are several months into fixing up his old condo with the hopes of selling it this spring. It's been...a process. It will be really nice to say goodbye to hubby's bachelor's pad and to the responsibility of landlording.

2. Have you heard about Catherine Price's new title, How to Break Up With Your Phone? Why, in God's name, would I want to break up with my best friend ever? I love this thing! It provides me with email, telephones calls and texts, books to read, all of my music (via Pandora and an SD card), games to play, a photo album, daily news, an alarm to wake me up in the morning, etc., etc. If the thing cooked I wouldn't need my husband! (JK of course!) But give it up, never! 

Now if someone would just write a book about giving up your iPad...that thing is a time-suck!  

😏

But seriously, the book looks interesting. I have to add it to my TBR list.


3. I've got some serious carpel tunnel issues friends. I developed it in college packing books for the University press, but it's been getting progressively worse at my current job. Whoever decided that a countertop sitting on a filing cabinet is "desk height" was an idiot! I have a doctor's appointment this weekend. Hopefully she has some suggestions other than surgery or cortisone injections.

4. Our taxes are finally ready and... 

 


We went from getting a generous check back annually to owing almost $10k! To be fair, there were extenuating circumstances this year. But even without that, the difference was hugely substantial!

The next elections cannot come soon enough!

5. So, as a higher education professional (and a middle-lower class kid who worked hard for what I got) this college cheating scandal is on everyone's minds and hearts. So many hardworking students who potentially lost out on life-changing opportunities while rich families bought their way in. Nothing surprising or new, I realize. But no less heartbreaking just the same. I am proud of my organization's stance on this issue and the efforts they make to ensure that admissions is fair and impartial.

6. Good people in the world...for sure!

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/teacher-reads-bedtime-stories-to-students-on-live-stream/

7. Looking forward to a long weekend. How about you?


0 comments: