Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Trauma: My Life in the ER - Cole

I tend to enjoy memoirs about things that I could never do myself, particularly medical memoirs. I am enthralled by the medicine, but could not ever imagine putting in the years of study and work required to become a doctor. Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon by James Cole is exactly that, a very interesting accounting of life as an active ER surgeon. 

Starting with his residency through his time served in various military units, Cole offers stories of saving lives (for the most part) and dealing with the many personalities and struggles that you face in the medical profession.

Cole writes in a very well written, intellectual way and his stories are quite exciting. However, this book seemed to me to really be two separate books: the doctor in the hospital story and the doctor in the field story.  It was clear that Cole had much more to say; and I was waiting anxiously on the edge of my seat to hear it!  I felt cheated that he cut each of those amazing portions of his life down in order to make it one book. But something is better than nothing, I suppose, so I enjoyed what I got. 

A very interesting read if you enjoy the genre. A bit graphic if not.


3/5- Good. Read it, have a good time and move on. Or not.

0 comments: