Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Kitty Cornered - Tarte


The Tarte family home is fast becoming a zoo.  Their Michigan home includes parrots, ducks, geese, parakeets, a rabbit, doves, and hens. With all this fowl it seems an interesting choice to also own cats, but the Tarte family clowder is growing fast!

In his humorous memoir, Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home, Bob Tarte shares how his home has evolved from a one (lazy) cat home to its current group of six, including a stray and several cats who have been passed on due to behavioral issues.  But Tarte always maintains his fantasy that the next incoming kitty is the one who will be a gentle, snuggling buddy.

With Tarte's humor and wit, he shares how his group of cats, their needs, and their personalities have taken over his home and his family, ultimately discovering that his cats offer lessons in achieving happiness.

This was a cute book, but it was a bit hard to follow at times. I can not say for sure if that was a result of my attention span or his writing, but at times I wasn't sure what Tarte was getting at...until I realized that he was making a joke. I guess if you like his style, you love this book too. If not, there are many other cat memoirs out there.


3/5- Good. Read it, have a good time and move on. Or not.
 
 




1 comments:

Jeane said...

I read his book about the pet ducks and other birds. It was a fun read, but I admit sometimes I didn't quite get his sense of humor. This one sounds like it would be amusing when I need a light read, but not quite one I'd go out looking for.