Sunday, January 05, 2014

Bout of Books Read-a-thon - January 2014


The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, January 6th and runs through Sunday, January 12th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 9.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team


Per my promise to be more active with reading and blogging this year, I am signing up for my first read-a-thon of the year. This is my first Bout of Books, but I am excited about starting the year out strong!  So, here we go...


Time Devoted to Reading

I will be reading every day this week and intend to read no less than two hours each day. This is fairly aggressive for me!

My Goals

  • I intend to finish the book I am currently reading, The Truth About Cruise Ships, and have two others on back burner - though I won't list them as I have a tendency toward changing my mind based on mood. I would like to finish at least one of them by week's end. I also would like to make a dent in my first classic read for many years, Moby Dick. I hope to finish no less than three chapters this week. This is very aggressive for me!

Books to Read

  • The Truth About Cruise Ships
  • Moby Dick
  • Others

Updates

Monday
  • Number of chapters/books I've read today: I've gotten through one chapter of Moby Dick and about one chapter of my current read, but I'm dragging. The first day back from a vacation is tough and I am looking forward to going to bed early. In total, I've read about an hour and a half...  I'm not giving up yet, and will read for a while longer until it have to turn in due to exhaustion.
  • Total number of chapters/books I've read: 2 chapters
  • Books: Moby Dick and The Truth About Cruise Ships



Tuesday
  • Number of chapters/books I've read today: Got through several chapters of ...Cruise Ships tonight, almost done.  Also about half a chapter of Moby Dick but plan on trying to finish it up before lights out.
  • Total number of chapters/books I've read: 7+ chapters
  • Books: Moby Dick and The Truth About Cruise Ships


Wednesday
  • Number of chapters/books I've read today: As planned, after posting yesterday I returned to Moby Dick, and I finished not only the chapter I was on...but an couple more, which means that my goal to read at least three chapters of this classic is a SUCCESS!!  Tonight, however, I am dragging (still fighting this cold and the week is wearing on me). I read another chapter of ...Cruise Ships, but none of Moby....  And I am just too tired to continue tonight. I think I will head to bed early.
  • Total number of chapters/books I've read: 8+ chapters
  • Books: Moby Dick and The Truth About Cruise Ships

Thursday
  • Number of chapters/books I've read today: Another successful day! I finished five chapters and completed The Truth About Cruise Ships (review to come), so SUCCESS!  Now to decide what to read next...
  • Total number of chapters/books I've read: 13+ chapters
  • Books: Moby Dick and The Truth About Cruise Ships

Friday
  • Number of chapters/books I've read today: Today was a failure... In the middle of two current reads and, it being Friday, I spent the evening doing errands like grocery shopping and laundry. No reading got done (other than some online stuff). Oh well, can't win them all.
  • Total number of chapters/books I've read: 13+ chapters
  • Books: Moby Dick and ???

Saturday
  • Number of chapters/books I've read today: finally decided on Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy. Have read six chapters so far, and not ready for bed yet. May try to hit Moby tonight as well...
  • Total number of chapters/books I've read: 19+ chapters
  • Books: Moby Dick and Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy


Sunday - Final totals!
  • Number of chapters/books I've read today: Have read another six chapters today, I moving though this one quickly. Never got back to Moby Dick, but that's ok...I'm further along than 
  • Books: Moby Dick and Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy
  • Total Books Finished: 1
  • Total Chapters Read: 25+
  • Overall, I would say this read-a-thon was a success! Though I didn't read the planned two hours each day, I definitely made up for the loss yesterday. Overall, 25+ chapters is very good for me. I'm happy to have succeeded in my first read-a-thon for 2014!!




0 comments: