Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Salon - 1/19/14




If you are interested in other Salon posts, visit the Facebook page to get links.


Life
Hello bloggies!

It was a calm and boring week here, which was kind of nice actually. The students are back and classes have begun, so it's typically busy. It will soon be time to start preparing for May's graduation!

I'm really enjoying that I don't have to go to work tomorrow! Perhaps I'll do some shopping, spend some of my Xmas gift certificates... Or maybe I'll just hang out and read a good book!

I TiVo'd this week's showing of Flowers in the Attic, which I read years ago, and just watched it today. Spoilers coming... Though the acting was alright, I felt this version was just eh.  It almost felt like they didn't want to repeat anything the previous movie did (which was fairly true to the book), to perhaps keep it creative and new, but that left this version lacking. I really missed the surprise of the realization of who was poisoning them, and finding the grandfather was already dead. Also, this version lacked any emotional connection with the little sister and brother. The little sister was a brat and Cory was, well...was he even there? And then he died, but it was like...not much of a moment, as it was in the book. No loss really. And I didn't really like the differences at the end. This new version was totally anti-climactic. I wanted the mom to get her due, but no luck. Very disappointing.




Books and Blogging

After a successful Bout of Books Read-a-thon 2014, I finished up my Netgalley Ophelia and the Marvelous Boy, which was a good read. Review coming soon. I've started reading Early Decision by Lacy Crawford and continue my efforts on Moby Dick. Good stuff!

What about you?

Shannon

0 comments: