Friday, May 30, 2014

Bookish (and not so bookish) Thoughts

Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and not so bookish bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise.



1. Have you heard that LeVar Burton is trying to bring back Reading Rainbow online? Very cool!

2. Enjoyed a weekend away this past week with my singing sisters (PV). There really is nothing quite like sitting by the edge of a beautiful lake, listening to the water lap gently, reading a good book!

3. Yet another heartbreaking and totally horrific school shooting in CA.... Sigh.

4. So Kendall and Kylie Jenner wrote a book... Really?! Ummm, whatever...

5. Despite a replacement mask for my CPAP machine, I still struggle with getting enough sleep. I fall asleep fine, but after three to four hours I wake up. After a potty break, I go down again...but my remaining hours are choppy and interrupted. I suppose its getting better...at least from what I can tell from my Fitbit. But I've got to admit that I am tired (pun intended) of the 3-4 hours sleep and 3-4 hours of "restlessness". Seriously, this lack of sleep thing is NO joke!
 

6. The world's collective heart breaks to hear of this week's passing of Dr. Maya Angelou. She is described as "one of the most renowned and influential voices of our time" and a "warrior for equality, tolerance and peace" (mayaangelou.com/).  And she was.  The memoirist and poet’s landmark book, “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” is on my TBR list. I must step that one up!

7.  I am currently in love with Ed Sheeran. Ok, I'm behind the times. But, I just love his voice and adore this song...



8. I fully understand wanting to promote British literature in Britain. I get it, I do. But removing classics such as To Kill A Mockingbird and Of Mice and Men? Really?! How about we nix Shakespeare and Austen from American lesson plans?  How does that benefit the children, or anyone for that matter? Of the books I was force fed in school, it was the American literature that sparked my mind, interested me, and motivated me to read more advanced classics. Foolish, I say. Absolutely bull-pucky!

9.  The hubby are at the point where we need to seriously look at buying a new car. We are giving up a *very old* Toyota Corolla and need another small(ish) car. But since I will be driving it, I want something similar to my current Rav4. Not small! I'm thinking a Honda CRV or Nissan Rogue...though they are about the same width, they are shorter. Thoughts, anyone?

10. I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend reading...but whenever I say that I find myself running from responsibility to responsibility. How to break that cycle?!?!?

Have a great weekend all!



1 comments:

Christine said...

Oh god, they "wrote" a book? God.

I have a CRV and love it. It drives and parks like a car but can fit a ton more and sits up a bit higher.