Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Secret Life of Bees - Kidd

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd is the story of a young teenage girl, Lily Owens, who's life has been shaped by the loss of her mother, presumably at her own hands. After just over a decade of being abused and ignored by her "father," T-Roy, Lily finds herself forced with believing T-Roy vicious lies or running away. 

After her pseudo-mother, her African American maid Rosaleen, insults some local racists while headed to register to vote, Lily decides they must run. They head to the town of Tiburon, South Carolina for no more reason than that Lily's mother appears to once have visited the town.  They find a family and the truth about Lily's past.

I adored this book!  I realize this book has been out for a while and I have to be one of the last few to have read it...but it was well worth the wait!

I had seen snippets of the movie, though I attempted to avoid it as I really wanted to read the book first.  I'm glad I did. This story was touching and thought provoking all at once.

4/5- Great. Push it on your friends and family.

More opinions at:
Becky's Barmy Book Blog

0 comments: