Thursday, January 26, 2012

Booking Thru Thursday - 01/26/12

http://btt2.wordpress.com/
What’s more important: Good writing? Or a good story?

(Of course, a book should have BOTH, but…) 

What do you think?

I wish I could get all intellectual and say, "Well darling, the  writing of course....sniff, sniff!" 
But the honest truth is, the story is more important for me.  

I read a book a few years ago, a memoir about the Station Nightclub fire in Rhode Island, and the writing was...okay, just okay.  There were tons of typos and some grammatical errors. It drove me crazy!  But, I was really into the story of the person's experience that night, what happened, what didn't happen. Though I cringed every time I read an error, I battled my way through just because the story was so interesting.

Then I blamed the cheapo-publisher for not getting a good (any?!) proof-reader! 

I do suppose there's a limit...but if I got through that mess, I must love a good story a heck of a lot more than good writing!




1 comments:

TP said...

Ooh interesting question. Good story, bad writing - I'll finish the book and move on. But bad story, good writing - I'll dislike the book but want to read at least 1 more from the author.