Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Faves - 01/13/12

Welcome to Friday's Fave Five. It's Friday so that makes it time to look back over our week and look for those things we are grateful for. It may be big or it may be small and you have to dig for it, but there are always things we can be thankful for. Please join us as we share our favorite five. If you need the guidelines they are here

1. A Loss... I learned of the death of my ex-fiance on Friday.  We have not been in touch for years. He actually died in September, but I just found out. He was only 41. I spent the weekend writing about him, as it was the only thing I could focus on for more than a few minutes, and slept little.  The apologetically long post is here.  It's events like this that make you truly grateful for what you have: family, friends, health, love, pets, a home, a job... I am blessed, least of which that I got to know this wonderful man and share some of his too short life.


2. Mrs.  As if the weekend wasn't emotional enough, the fiance and I decided now was as good a time as any and have planned our wedding for next weekend.  Uh, yes, you did hear that right... We went from "whenever" to Saturday the 21st in a heartbeat.  We've booked the Justice of the Peace, will be holding a very small ceremony for friends and family at our house, and then over the summer will have a big blowout celebration. Thankfully most everyone could be there next week.  I've got a million things to do this week...


3. Shorter Board Meetings. Anyone who has served on the Board of a committee group knows that those meetings somehow have a way of growing...and growing...and growing. I've been on the Board of my theater for years now and meetings recently were hitting 3 and 1/2 hours!  Add the hour drive home, for me, and let's just say it was getting to be too much. We enacted a 3 minute rule for reports to try to limit the discussion to a manageable length. This past week, our meeting was back down to 2 hours. And we got just as much accomplished, we just limited the extra babble to make our required points and move on!  This is good.


4. Booking gigs. My a Capella group was able to finally book the gig we were offered a few weeks back. There was some back and forth about the dates, trying to get the guests to be available on the same date we could do it, but it all worked out.  We are very much excited about 2012, as we have several performances booked (www.purelyvocals.com).


5. Long weekend ahead. 'Nuff said! 

3 comments:

Susanne said...

Oh, wow. When you guys decide you don't fool around! LOL. I'm sure you'll have a lovely ceremony and the big summer party will be fun.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Even though you haven't been in touch it's still hard and shocking.

I can't imagine such long board meetings. Yikes. I'll bet it feels good to get it back down to a reasonable 2.

Anonymous said...

Wow - What a week of lows and highs - a loss of an ex to a gain of a husband. So glad the loss turned into an opportunity to realize how blessed you are.

I can't imagine getting married in a week. You must be very organized. And what a fun event to look forward to come this summer. Congrats by the way. :)

Wahoo on the booking. It is always a relief when details work out for all involved. It's also a relief when board meetings get back to a reasonable length - especially ones that are held in the evenings.

Hope you enjoy your Monday off and get at least a little rest!

Willow said...

Oh wow! Hurray for setting the wedding date! And oh wow! next weekend! I'm sure you'll get it all done...

I hear ya on board meetings--sigh.