Thursday, February 28, 2019

Yea or Nay: Ebooks


For years I was always a hands-on book reader. I couldn't imagine choosing to read any other way. The feel of the paper, the smell of the binding, the "shopping" trips to the library - they were irreplaceable.

I have finally came to my senses. Yes, books are wonderful (I currently have hundreds in my shelf waiting to be read). But I have come to realize how much more convenient ebooks are for me riding the commuter rail to work every day. And, after several attempts (and purchasing a larger screened cell phone), I have gotten used to the change in medium and am finally comfortable reading ebooks on my phone or iPad.

Disadvantages
  • No touchy-feels or smelly-smells. Ebooks just lack that special "bookness" we all love.
  • Ebooks need to be charged. Books never run out of power.
  • Blue light.
  • After spending the day at work, my eyes are just tired of staring at a screen.
  • Ebooks/Ereaders just don't look as pretty on the shelf as real books do.
  • Ebooks are easier to steal in mass quantity. I mean, how many of us have never sold a traditional book at a yard sale, right? But someone could share an ebook file with countless people at once, a deterrent for publishers for sure.
  • So many ereaders and file formats, which to pick? And the initial cost output is greater.
  • And the learning curve of purchasing, downloading, etc.
  • And files can get lost/erased. Try erasing a traditional book...no seriously, I'll wait.
  • There is nothing like turning that last page and realizing you did it, you finished the whole book!
Advantages
  • More eco-friendly. Save the trees! Minimize the pollutants and such from production! Minimize the paper sent to junkyards and landfills!
  • Ebooks tend to be cheaper because of the above.
  • Ebooks can be read in the dark...and your spouse thanks you.
  • No need to travel to the store to purchase, just hit the power button and browse the library/online store - ease and eco-friendly!
  • Ebooks are much lighter...ie you can carry thousands of book choices at once.
  • Ebooks are alternatively-capable/disabled friendly. Those with sight impairments can increase fonts, those who cannot hold a traditional book and turn pages can often place a reader on their lap and touch the screen lightly to change pages.
  • Multi-media. Gone are the days of black and white pictures, now we can include audio, video and internet links to increase the entertainment value of our books.
  • Ebooks allow for quick and easy note taking, passage marking, and text searches (what did the author say about that topic or character earlier?!).
The hardest thing for me was to adjust to the new medium. But once I did it, I was sold. Now I am glad to read an ebook anytime. I do still buy traditional books and will, of course, continue to read them. But doing both has opened up possibilities for me and I always welcome new ways to incorporate books into my life!

What about you? Do you eread or not?!

3 comments:

Jeane said...

It took me a while to get used to an e-reader, but now I sometimes forget I'm even on a device. It helps that I made a cover for mine out of an old book- so it feels like I'm holding a clothbound book in my hands. I do love it for travelling, but when I'm at home much prefer to read the traditional book format.

Shannon said...

Me as well Jeane, though my carpel tunnel does act up with the Ipad or phone. But I agree, there is nothing like coming home to a good page turner! Thanks for the comment!

colormax said...

Bangladesh Vs New Zealand Today Match Result
South Africa vs India Today Match Result
Website