Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sir Isaac Newton's Birthday Bash!

Today is my work department's first holiday celebration in, what I understand is, over a decade!

Last year, my first at the company, I asked about a holiday party and folks just kind of put it off. We are a diverse group... Of course that shouldn't matter, it should add to the festivities! Folks just seemed unmotivated to celebrate the season.   

This year, I had support from some new faculty...and another year's seniority! So, I started shaking the proverbial holiday tree/menorah! I broached the subject with my boss and got the go ahead. Yipee! Except that this put the whole event on my shoulders...OY!

Unfortunately, I started very late and thus the planning for the event has been stunted. But folks are finally signing up to attend and saying they will bring treats. I am very much hoping that it is a success!  

Now, it just so happens that Sir Isaac Newton's birthday is the 25th (on the old calendar, on the current calendar its the 4th of January or something), but since I work in a department of physicists we decided to bill the party as a "Birthday Bash" for one of the world's most famous physicists. Hopefully that will take some of the holiday party feel out of it and folks of all denominations will attend!

I am really hoping it is a rousing success and that everyone has a good time! 

Otherwise, this may just be the last party for the next decade...

All art courtesy of microsoft.com

0 comments: