Monday, October 17, 2011

Speak - Anderson



Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak is well-known and highly acclaimed.

The story of a young teen trying to find herself after experiencing a rape at a party at the start of her freshman year in high school, she finds herself hiding literally, in janitorial closets, and figuratively by avoiding speaking.  Since her friends (and, in fact, the entire school) has shunned her for calling the police during the party, there is no one with whom she can communicate. What can she say? No one would believe her as the rapist is a well-known and like football player.

But she is still valued and loved by some, least of all by herself. And ultimately she finds her way out of her closet.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I vaguely recalled the story...I'm not sure if someone told me about it, if I saw the movie, or if its just similar to another story. But it was interesting anyway. And, I felt it was quite in touch with how teens (at least teens 10 years ago) thought. I can't help but wonder why I took so long reading it...

3/5- Good. Read it, have a good time and move on. Or not.

more opinions at:
YAMuses 
Fyrefly's Book Blog
Maw Books Blog


0 comments: