Saturday, April 20, 2013

A to Z Challenge - R

Most amateur photographers will aim their camera at their subject (a friend, child, pet), center that subject in the screen and shoot. While this gets the job done, it is a bit boring.

In photography, another key of composition and technique is called the rule of thirds.

Imagine a tic-tac-toe board on your picture or subject. The strongest point/s of that picture photographically is/are not, in fact, the center...but the four points where the lines meet. The next strongest points are the lines themselves. By putting your subjects off center, you create movement and life in your photographs, while centering an object often makes it appear flat and lifeless.

So, when composing your next photo keep this in mind and play with it.
An unrealized success!







2 comments:

Spanj said...

Thanks for the tip! Any great photos I take are sheer accident, but this is definitely advice I'll keep in mind next time I press the shutter.
angelinetrevena.blogspot.co.uk

Loralie Hall said...

I've never heard it put that way before, but when you explain it it makes perfect sense. I'm going to start playing with that technique in my photos.
____
Find me:
Blog: http://allysonlindt.com
email: Allyson.Lindt@gmail.com
Twitter: @AllysonLindt