Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A to Z Challenge - J


http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/2012-to-z-challenge-sign-up-list.html


J...       Jogging


Prior to moving in with my fiance (now hubby), I used to live in Quincy, a town which sits right on the shore. The beachfront enabled you to walk 2 1/2 plus miles each way up/down the beach. For the almost 10 years I lived there, I did this regularly during the summer...and often during the winter. 5+ miles a day can become addicting!

Then I moved inland.

What a let-down. I truly feel there is nothing more depressing than living in a land-locked area with no water close by to enjoy. We then bought a condo together in another land-locked town. There was a nice little state park near by, but no water, and the park offered streets, but few paths (too forested for me). Frankly, it made me lazy. I stopped walking altogether, gained 25lbs and became a couch cushion. 



One of the greatest parts of my new home, and one of the reasons we bought it despite the work ahead of us, is the fact that we now live less than a 3 minute walk from a big beautiful lake!


The lake is populated with lots of houses nearby and, particularly on the warmer days, people come from the surrounding towns to walk, run and jog around it. There isn't a path all the way around, but much of it is paved and where it isn't there are streets and passageways developed over years. I'm told the total distance is about 4.5 miles.

This past month, when we had those beautiful summer weather days, the hubby and I walked. I loved it!  I even went on a day when he couldn't go and, believe it or not, I jogged. Even when I lived in Quincy and walked the beach...I never jogged. But there's just something about enjoying a warm, sunny day with 100+ other folks that motivated me. It was slow and intermittent, but I did - I actually jogged!

Then the weather got cold and rainy again. But the past few days have been low 60's. I see the summer at the end of the tunnel and I am looking forward to spending more time investigating those paths and, hopefully, walking and jogging even more.

I love the summer!


3 comments:

Spanj said...

It's funny how we have a particular kind of landscape we need to be near. With you, it's obviously water, with me it's trees.

I've lived in rural areas my whole life. My last home was literally in the middle of nowhere. We moved to a town this year, and I didn't know how I would cope. But I can see trees out the back windows, and that's all I need. As long as I have trees, I could live anywhere.

Laura S. said...

Hello, Shannon! One of my cousins lives in Quincy. She walks her two little girls to the beach every chance she gets. I sure wouldn't mind living so close to the shore!

Hope you're having a great week. It's spring and almost summer! Happy A to Z!!

Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Aw, yay for getting to be near water again. I'm not so much a water person myself. I love the city! Good on you getting out there and doing a little jogging!

Anna@ Herding Cats & Burning Soup