Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A to Z Challenge - P


http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/2012-to-z-challenge-sign-up-list.html


P...        Purely Vocals

When I am not working, reading/blogging, cleaning/fixing our new house, or selling memberships for my theater (Footlight Club), I am usually singing with my a capella group Purely Vocals.  Note the conspicuous absence of sleep? I do, that's for sure!

Anyway...


Purely Vocals is a 4-woman a capella group (for those of you who don't know music, that means we sing without any accompaniment to keep us on pitch: no piano, no guitar...just practice and dumb luck) from eastern Massachusetts, though we will travel for gigs. We have been together for about 8 years, though this always surprises me and I underestimate it.  

We sing various styles and decades of music...everything from Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy to Girls Just Want to Have FunWe have sung in lots of different venues, from private wedding receptions and birthdays to huge stadiums full of people.

We are...well, pretty good.  *blush*  

Of course, I may have some bias, but thankfully others seem to agree with me!  This past June, we were chosen from all the entrants of a contest to sing the national anthem for the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on Red Sox Nation Day 2011! Despite a broken foot and a hospital trip that day, I still made the game and it was...

AMAZING!!!

We have also sung regularly for the Pawtucket Red Sox (RI), were chosen as one of ten finalists of a local "American Idol" type event, and got the opportunity to sing for the National Debate Series: Boston in November of 2009. Though not one of us is anywhere near college age anymore, we have been singled out and chosen to sing at local college a capella events, alongside groups from MIT, Northeastern and Berklee School of Music.  And, of course, we also have a long-standing history of providing free music for worthy causes, such as Relay for Life (Weymouth), Rosie's Place (Boston), and the Diva Day organization.

We have a great time hanging out together, making music and making people smile! 

If interested, you can check us out at www.purelyvocals.com ...though my To Do list includes a website re-do

...with all that extra time I have. 
:)




3 comments:

ayjay said...

Yay! Singing! My V entry will be for the Vittoria Ensemble, the choir I sing with :)
Happy A-Z'ing!
~AJ @ frodofrog.blogspot.com

MOV said...

fun! love this!

best,
MOV
http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com

Jeremy Bates said...

Too cool! Though I am a Yankee fan, I would love to sing the National Anthem at Fenway. What an honor. Besides, anyone can sing better than Roseanne Barr.

You go girl!