Monday, April 23, 2012

A to Z Challenge - S




http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/2012-to-z-challenge-sign-up-list.html


S...       Siblings 
(updated, sorry tried to do this by my phone and it didn't work too well...)

I grew up with an older sister. She and I were relatively close as kids. As we got older, and she reached her teens, she became the sharer of "naughty information". She was a hell-raiser and I was far from it. We grew apart steadily until I eventually decided to move to Boston to live with my Dad. She stayed in Pennsylvania with my mother and got pregnant. Shortly after, she moved out of my mother's house and since then I have seen very little of her. At my grandmother's funeral eight years ago, my father's 60th birthday party...that's about it.

Recently, she "friended" me on Facebook. I was floored and thrilled. But she spends very little time on there and it hasn't become the reconnection for which I'd hoped.  It's a shame. I often wish we'd have been closer, that we had become friends and could talk and share our lives. I miss what "might have been". 


For about twenty years, I was always the baby. Then, while home from college one day, my father and stepmother told me that they were going to have a baby. At first I was speechless, then I was jealous. But eventually I was thrilled!

My baby brother is now in college and has turned in a pretty cool guy. He plays guitar and is more confident and sure of himself than I ever was, or could be. I'm proud of what a good man he is turning out to be. I look forward to seeing where his life leads him. 

What about you, are you close to your siblings?

1 comments:

Spanj said...

I am the middle of five and am so lucky to be very close to all of my siblings. No matter how far away from each other we live, we are always there when we need each other. Our own children are really close too and we take every opportunity to get together. I know how lucky I am in that.