Saturday, April 14, 2012

A to Z Challenge - M


http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/2012-to-z-challenge-sign-up-list.html


M...        The Boston Marathon

I love the Boston Marathon - 26 miles from Hopkinton, Mass to Boylston Street in Boston! 


I actually grew up in another state, so the Marathon wasn't a big deal until I had graduated from college and returned to the Boston area to work and live. I began going regularly, fighting the crowds and traffic for a spot along the raceway when I had the day off work, or taking the day off if I didn't.  

Then I realized that the best part of the race is the "losers" (I use that term VERY loosely -  anyone who finishes, hell anyone who is ballsy enough to try to run the Marathon, is a winner)!  The way I see it...no one is at all surprised that the top 10-40 percent of the field finish. I mean, they're runners, right?! That is what they do, finish races.

Courtesy of http://www.bostonnightclubnews.com/bostonmarathon/
But I love the 4pm to 9pm crowd.  The folks who run, but aren't "runners". The folks who may have never run a marathon before in their life, and maybe didn't even qualify but either fundraised their way in via a charity or those who just slipped in after the official crowds had started and aren't even being tracked, but are just running it for their own benefit.

I love watching these folks come in. I love standing on the sidelines of Boylston Street after all the crowds have gone home, as the DPW is breaking down the stands and cleaning up trash, and the race is "over". There are usually a few folks leaving work peeking to see what is left to see...and then down the stretch comes a runner with barely enough energy to jog or walk (or crawl, I have seen it!), but determined to make it, to survive. I love standing on the sidelines and screaming...

Courtesy of http://www.bostonnightclubnews.com/bostonmarathon/
"You're almost there! You've got this!"

"Just a bit more...you can make it!"

"You're awesome! You're amazing!  GO, GO, GO!!!"

And I like to think that these folks actually appreciate that there is someone, anyone, left to root for them, to encourage and push, and to celebrate their success just as much as the the 2pm finishers who crossed to crowds of thousands and large, hefty checks!

There is no feeling better than rooting for the underdog and...despite the pain, despite the exhaustion and dehydration, despite the reasons why they shouldn't finish...watching them cross that nearly deserted white line in front of Boston Public Library A WINNER!!!

Anyone want to join me this year??  The Boston Marathon is Monday, April 16th, 2012!





2 comments:

Sylvia Ney said...

Amazing! I've never been to Boston, but it's on my "to do" list.

New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

DayDreamer said...

No doubt your encouragement is much appreciated buy them. It must be so hard for the average person trying their best to keep going a bit further, and a bit further again so all your yelling will definitely spur them on You go, girl.